15 Checkpoints When Buying An English Springer Spaniel Pup
Purchasing an English Springer Spaniel pup is step one on the long road of companionship and fun with these wonderful animals. So, it is important to get it right and these tips will assist you to do that. There is a saying “let the puppy pick you”, but that is all right up to a point, as you however wish to be sure that the brand new puppy is basically healthy.
If you have done all the preliminary checks on the pup – parents’ pedigree, prize winners in last two generations and so on then we come to the finer points.
A pup is by definition quite young, so we WOn’t know how it’ll grow, and thus need to rely on the appearance of the parents. The things we can check on the mother (and perhaps the father also if he is around) without being judging pros are:
1. Height equal to length is not bad?
2. Does the mom stand with pigeon toes or with paws splayed, or paws directly ahead?
3. Are the hindquarters muscular and powerful looking and are the rear paws pointing forwards? The rear legs should have a moderate rake back, and should not be raked or perpendicular much.
4. The base of the tail should run parallel with the dog’s back and not rise above it.
5. The paws should look like a continuance of the legs and also the toes must not be splayed (which could lead to harm).
6. The coat ought to be shiny and healthy looking, but not coarse or curled. Feathering shouldn’t be excessive.
7. Blue roan is an acceptable color in the usa.
If the mom has a great natural pace with the legs swinging right forwards then, and checks out nicely in these respects that should all be an excellent index for her pups.
1. A liver colouring ought to be rich and dark.
2. A wavy coat in a pup isn’t a good indication for an adult show dog – assess the coat behind the head and down the neck and back. Revealing may not be important to you but a wavy coat will need grooming.
3. Deep blue eyes that aren’t running or weeping (deeper color currently means a stronger hazel color in maturity).
5. A coat which is smooth and glossy.
6. Assess for right bite in the teeth – upper teeth have a close overlap on the lower teeth and also the jaw is set square.
7. If the pup is older than 8 weeks afterward both testicles should be completely descended for a show-line dog.
The puppy shouldn’t appear too fat or too skinny. An enormous tummy could point to worms.
These checks are generic, and then you definitely should check the Breed Standard in more depth for your particular state, as Breed Standards aren’t fully consistent globally if you’re intent on winning prizes with your English Springer Spaniel.
The aforementioned check list isn’t exhaustive but will give a good general indication of the pup’s likely development.